Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I have a question for all my friends who are married to lawyers or who know a lawyer. I have a theory I would like to run by you.

As an attorney practices law and the years go by, would you agree that the attorney gets more and more full of himself? Wait that makes no sense. Let me start over.

I know an attorney who has been practicing law for about 10 years. Is he nice? no. Actually he is pretty much a jerk. I know another attorney who has been practicing for over 3o years. He is not only a jerk, but superbly rude and grouchy. So I ask you. Would you say that with each year that goes by, the Lawyer gets more and more arrogant and cocky and rude?

This has absolutely nothing to do with Trevor. I think Trevor is nice. I love Trevor. I think Trevor is one of the friendliest attorneys I know. But I'm not biased. I do feel a bit worried that rudeness and arrogance might someday get a hold on him...maybe. Or not. I don't know. Anyone?

7 comments:

  1. oh.my.gosh!!!! this is so funny that you posted this today! my husband and i were just, literally JUST talking about this. we feel like attorneys THINK they are the ruling class and they ACT like it. is it engrained into them in law school that they are better than everyone else??? i don't know. but attorneys that i know are BIG time cocky jerks. i mean really rude. so amen to your theory :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably depends on the person. My dad has been an attorney for 30+ years, and he's a pretty great guy. Though I'm a little biased.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed Jensie. I didn't mean this to sound like a blanket statement, although I realize it did. I just had a run-in today that really shook me up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, YES attorneys are full of themselves. I have worked with at least a couple hundred over the course of my career, and I can name probably, maybe . . . ten that didn't turn into big cocky jerks the older they got. And some of them didn't have to wait to get old to become that way.

    Let's see. One's a retired judge I know. He's nice. Then there's three apostles who are lawyers. They must be nice, because they're apostles. And I know a few stake presidents who are lawyers. Wait, I'm seeing an LDS theme here. So okay, I guess there are nice lawyers out there. Maybe it helps them not to become self-centered jerks if they stay close to the Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Aunt Laura :) I know a really nice LDS lawyer too :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just like everything else, there's the good and the bad ones.

    That being said, I think lawyers tend to be more on the arrogant side because they are generally smarter than the average population and they know it. People pay them to be.

    Personally, in terms of arrogance, cockiness, and rudeness, I think law students are the WORST.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And this just came to my mind...

    Everyone complains about lawyers...UNTIL YOU NEED ONE (and you will probably want the most vicious one there is).

    ReplyDelete