Tuesday, February 3, 2009

politics and such

Okay. It was going to have to be said eventually. I am not afraid to do it, so bring on the opinions.

I was watching The McLaughlin Group on PBS the other night. Anyone who doesn't know what this show is, it's a show that brings both sides together on important issues and lets them fight it out. It can be quite hilarious at times.

The issue brought to the table was Obama's stimulus package. Has anyone really taken the time to look into this? I will admit I had not.

This is taken straight from the transcripts on Saturday's show. The following relates to how Obama's $825 Billion stimulus package will be spent.

DR. MCLAUGHLIN: Republicans think otherwise. In slashing attacks, Republicans critiqued the bill, especially for its alleged fat content: Infrastructure -- highways, bridges, et cetera -- $366 billion; jobless benefits and Medicaid, $180 billion; health care for the poor and unemployed, $127 billion; local school districts, $41 billion; federal buildings, $7.7 billion; Amtrak, $1 billion; digital TV conversion, $650 million; federal cars, $600 million; global warming research, $400 million; sexually transmitted disease prevention, $335 million; National Endowment for the Arts, $50 million.

I have a few questions.

#1 Sexually transmitted disease prevention?!? What the?? You have got to be kidding!!

#2 National endowment for the arts?!? We don't need the arts right now! We need jobs!

#3 Digital tv conversion! At this point my opinion is it's every man for himself. If you haven't done the conversion yet, you probably don't care or are too lazy to care.

#4 My last question is what is this Federal Cars deal all about? That one I don't know about.

So you see my problem with the Stimulus Package. If anyone can explain these things to me, I welcome you to do it.

4 comments:

  1. I don't get it either. Our country is going down the tubes and there's not a whole lot we can do to stop it.

    Have you heard about the new book that someone just wrote about the love between the mainstream media and Obama? It is called "A Slobbering Love Affair". Isn't that awesome! Oh, it's by Bernie Goldberg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no common sense left in politics. Just a bunch of dummies. ! That's the answer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Alyson... so you're asking for opinions? Cool. Well, Obama is creating jobs. I first want to remind you that when you get into politics like this, it's always "he said, she said"- basically "republicans said, democrats said".

    This explains about the money going towards "STD Prevention"... Which mostly has to do with preventing the spread of HIV... which I think is pretty dang important. Stopping AIDS AND creating jobs.

    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jan/29/economic-stimulus-bills-allot-millions-for-std-pre/

    The money for the National Endowment for the arts IS to create jobs.

    The money for Digital TV conversion, is actually for conversion coupons. I'm sure you've heard those advertised on TV, actually long before Obama took office.

    And the Federal Cars could be a couple things. The government has already lent out money to auto makers to keep the companies afloat. By keeping the companies afloat, they are saving jobs. So, the money could be going towards that. Or- the money could be going towards the new standards for fuel efficiency. "The Obama administration also plans to set new federal fuel economy standards for 2011 model-year autos as part of a 2007 law to force new cars and trucks to reach 35 miles per gallon by 2020, a 40 percent increase." OR- the money could be going towards the goal of making a better option for battery operated vehicles. "The economic stimulus package before the Senate includes development of advanced batteries, a key component for plug-in hybrid vehicles."

    Lots of interesting information here...

    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iC4HZlPgoESpwB09T44mYySuZAaQD964CK980

    One other thing that Obama is considering putting money towards is $300 million to increase teacher salaries... which I think is desperately needed.

    Hope this helps...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You probably already know my opinion on the digital TV conversion -- last I checked, entertainment via TV is not a constitutional right, so why the heck are my tax dollars being used to make sure every schlub in America gets their entertainment fix every night?

    On the subject of the spending package creating jobs and otherwise stimulating the economy, consider that FDR was trying to do the same thing with the New Deal during the Depression. UCLA just came out with a study that found the New Deal actually prolonged the Depression for seven years. Seven years! If you're interested you can read about it here:
    http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/FDR-s-Policies-Prolonged-Depression-5409.aspx

    Unfortunately I'm afraid that despite the dummies in Washington's best efforts (or worst, however you want to look at it) the economy's going down the toilet. Panic!

    (Just kidding about the panic part. Calmly get your food storage instead.)

    ReplyDelete