Sunday, January 7, 2018

For Christmas this year, my mom typed up some letters from when my dad was serving his mission. They were not just letters from him, but letters from my grandparents and aunt and uncles as well.

We've been reading through this book; me to my kids, and my kids to me. Whenever we sit down, one of us picks it up and starts reading out loud where we left off.

As everyone knows, we sure have a lot of seemingly dramatic things happen to us on a regular basis. This week, having Trevor's tire shred on the way to work and having to buy new tires ($800+ dollars later), the next morning the cows escaping the corrals and shattering the bedroom window, and truly the list goes on and on.

I'm feeling tired of the question "I wonder what Heavenly Father is trying to teach you?" every time a trial hits. Maybe it's just that Heavenly Father needs us to be strong to prepare for what is coming, or that he is using us to be an example to others. Maybe it's not that we need to learn a lesson because we have been bad. I don't feel bad. I feel like I'm doing everything I can to keep my head above water, and to teach my family about Heavenly Father's plan; to teach them to love and serve and live righteously.

Things may not come easily for us the way they seem to for other people, but that doesn't mean we are bad, or deserve trials.

So anyway, back to the book we've been reading. We were reading a story my grandma wrote to my dad about my uncle and his friend driving a truck in the mountains and it caught fire and they tried to put it out, but couldn't. So they grabbed their guns out of the cab (because back then, you never left home without a gun?) and ran away from the pickup because they were afraid it was going to explode. But they forgot to grab the ammo for the guns, and pretty soon the bullets started going off all around them.

Okay, so why is this so awesome? Because this is SO something that would happen to me. Trials happen to everyone, and maybe trials like these crazy things run in my family. Maybe it's because we signed up for these trials in Heaven before we came to earth. I think that happened. I used to love MacGyver and want to be like him. I love to think of myself as someone who is creative enough to get out of any predicament. With the Lord's help, we can be brave enough to face anything. My uncle was a good example of facing a trial. My grandma wasn't mad about the truck being on fire. Wait, maybe she was, but she didn't seem mad in the letter. I mean, they shoveled SAND in the cab and on the engine to put out the fire. SAND!!!! That would have ruined the engine!! I'm not sure on the details of how they ended up fixing this truck, but I'm sure it was a huge trial to come up with the money to have it fixed.... and they did! Wow!

I come from this amazing heritage of fighters! I'm a fighter too! Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for trials or bragging that I'm so good at them, but facing these things headlong and with a fighting spirit, they can be conquered. Pray for help and guidance! Angels will be sent to you to help you through whatever it is you are facing!

Wow!

I am really rambling here! This was supposed to be a house update...

Heh. Heh.

Bye for now.

This has been an installment of Deep and Rambling Thoughts with Alyson

No comments:

Post a Comment