I get a ladder since the nest it fell out of is way high up in the tree. No luck. The ladder is too short. Bummer. We look around and see another nest. We can reach that nest. We bring the ladder over and my sister bravely climbs up and drops the baby bird inside.
Monday 2:00 p.m. : I am still trying to start the weed whacker and see movement out of the corner of my eye. There in the grass are TWO baby birds. No feathers on either one. I scream! Why do I keep doing that? I run for my sister's house. We briskly walk over and she scoops them up and brings them to the other nest. The ladder is still there since I wanted to be able to climb up and check on our baby bird. She bravely climbs up the ladder and I hand her one baby bird at a time as she dumps them in the nest.
"That was strange" we say to one another. We look up into the tree at the nest we cannot reach. There is a hole in the middle of it about the size of my fist. I see the tail end of one more baby bird. I say to my sister how "I sure hope the last baby bird stays in the nest".
I watch the new baby bird's nest all afternoon and am pleased to see that the mommy and daddy birds are feeding all the babies.
The thought crosses my mind that they might not be the same type of birds. How funny that would be.
Tuesday 1:00 p.m. : I look up at the nest we cannot reach and am pleased to see the tail of the last baby bird. I am glad it is still in there.
Tuesday 7:00 p.m. : I am outside sanding the playground getting ready to stain the old wood, when I see movement out of the corner of my eye. I look over and there is the last baby bird in the grass. I didn't scream. I said "oh no". I walk over and get my sister. She says "I'll be there in about ten minutes". She comes over and picks up the bird and climbs up the ladder and dumps it in the nest.
"How weird" we say to each other. At least there are no more babies left to fall out of that nest.
Tuesday 9:00 p.m. : Cleaning up the sander and power cords, I am walking by the tree when I see a nest there on the ground. It is the said nest of the babies old home. It has a great big hole in the bottom. I guess it was bound to come down. But how strange is that. Don't birds normally mud the nests to the branch so they are sturdy and won't move? This mommy bird didn't know how to build a very good nest!

I decide to climb up the ladder to check on the babies. I bring my camera. It is the first time I have climbed the ladder to look at the birds. I climb to the top and burst out laughing.
This is what I see.
Wait. You need a closer picture you say?
That was entertaining! I liked the pictures.
ReplyDeleteThose darn baby birds are always falling out of nests. At my old house there was a couple birds that kept falling out of the nest before they could fly and I was afraid a dog or cat would get them (this had happened the previous year). So I chased the bird across the street while trying to catch it. It could run, just not fly.
It hid under a truck across the street and I was afraid it would never get home and get run over by the truck when it started in the morning. So I climbed under the truck and finally got the bird and carried it back to the nest, which it promptly fell out of again. Dumb bird.
What a funny story!! You two girls are CRAZY!! Those birds look awfully crowded in that nest!
ReplyDeleteHey, I love your music!!
Are they dead?
ReplyDeleteHA HA HA! DEAD????? No they are not dead. They are just really crowded. Click on the picture and blow it up big. Now try to count how many birds are in there. I counted at least 7.
ReplyDeleteWe found a dead baby bird beside the nest today. It was really sad.
Oh how cute. You are so funny!!! That is so many birds in one nest!! We found a baby bird on the ground once. I was just standing theere and Abby comes up to me and shoves this baby bird in my face, "Look Mommy I found a bird!" I tried really hard not to screm and freak out cause I didn't want to scare Abby but wow was I freaked. So don't feel bad about screaming every time.
ReplyDeleteHaha, okay, that was one of the funniest stories I've heard in a while (you told it great!)! But I do have to admit that I thought they looked dead in the picture too but so glad to hear that they're not!
ReplyDelete