Guys. Do you think I have the personality of a brick wall? Am I boring? I'm analyzing what's wrong with me. SOMETHING is wrong with me. I'm sure. I'd love to fix it. If I could figure out what the problem is I'd be able to make a plan of how I could get better.
I have the annoying problem of being interrupted or cut off in the middle of a conversation. This happens all the time here. I mean it. All the time. Tonight I was telling some ladies about how the pool here gave my kids the flu and how I don't like one particular life guard who wasted two weeks of swim lessons for my kids last year by not teaching them anything and playing around with his co-teacher the whole time during lessons. But I didn't get to say any of that. I was cut off. I tried to tell my story three times and got interrupted or talked over every single time.
This really makes me want to cry. I feel unliked. I feel like I must be super boring if no one wants to hear what I have to say. It would be one thing if it was the first time it happened. But this happens all the time! Is it because I'm not animated enough? Maybe I should talk louder?
I've tried really hard to be upbeat about things here. I love it here, I love these women, but I just wish they'd give me a chance and love me too. You know, make a little room for me too.
Feeling down tonight.
That sucks to feel that way. You are funny and awesome!!! Hope they start listening to you more!
ReplyDeleteI often feel the same way. I don't know what the solution is. I do think I don't talk loudly enough in public, though. I often feel that I don't have many friends, and when I start saying something and don't get to finish, I feel silly and dumb and like a social outcast. Not anger at being interrupted, which is what I imagine many people might feel or act out.
ReplyDeleteYou have a great personality. Some people just have bad habits.
ReplyDeleteMy MIL for instance can't have a conversation if there is a TV on in the room. This used to really bother me. But then I realized she wasn't going to change. So now I just accept it and know not to try and converse. Maybe these ladies just aren't used to having someone else in the room with them while they are talking. Also, that lifeguard who wasted your money should be reported and fired. Swimming lessons are expensive!
Okay, I do not understand this!! You have an amazing personality!! I love it!! One thing I have found with me is if I am confident in what I am saying, they will listen more. Sometimes, I truly have nothing to say and am just content listening to everyone else. But, if I have something to say, I try to say it as if I am the most confident person ever!! This is very hard for me and doesn't always happen, though. But, I try!!! Hang in there!! It will get better!!! Love you!!
ReplyDeleteMaybe you are trying to have conversations with the wrong people. Because there is nothing wrong you. "When you care more about living the way Christ did, that's when you'll know what beauty is". Have confidence that you are a beautiful person and that Heavenly Father made you amazing and that will carry over into how you feel in social situations. You are awesome. Love you!
ReplyDeleteI think the bottom line here is that people just like to hear themselves talk. That's nice that you have something to say, but wait, listen to ME! I have this story to tell that's kind of on the same topic too, and you'll be totally amazed by it!
ReplyDeleteI get interrupted all the time, because my voice isn't very loud. Sometimes it drives me crazy. If I'm feeling really upset about it, sometimes I'll just keep talking. It's like an epic noise battle. Then they realize I'm still talking and they're not quite sure what to do. If you don't mind creating awkward conversation moments, try this method.
Yeah, it's silly. I don't like talking over people in general, so if I have something to say I try to wait for an appropriate break in the conversation. But then what if you're in a conversation with a group of people, and someone thinks any conversation break whatsoever is a sign that they need to change the subject and tell you about that funny dream they had six nights ago? Right when you were about to finally say that thing you've been waiting fifteen minutes and for six people to shut up so you could finally say?
Ah, I'm no conversation expert, clearly. But I feel your pain.
This makes me think of that time when I was about 11 and went over to my friend's house. I wanted to tell her I had just learned to crochet, because I thought it was so cool. I said it to her three different times,and each time she never even acknowledged that I'd said anything, because she was so absorbed in talking about herself. And I kept repeating it, because silly me, I thought she just hadn't heard me right. After the third time I figured out, oh, she just wants to listen to herself talk about herself. Okay, I'll stop talking then.
People are just like that. Stinks, I know.
I think gemius here is onto something. It really has nothing to do with you at all. It's not about you being boring or whatever other negative thing you might have to call yourself, it's about them being so self-absorbed in what they have to say. Keep on talking!
ReplyDelete