HA! HA! HA!
I'm laughing even before this posts starts.
Oh shoot!
Did you know, not all of the amazing things you read on Pinterest always work out? Why didn't I know this? I've never had a "Pinstrosity" before, but OH MAN have I ever had one now!
It all started when I read the amazing "paint your couch" pin. It was a magnificent pin. And sometimes I get super annoyed with my college dorm furniture. So of course my mind started spinning with thoughts about how I was going to transform my furniture. I bought some of that upholstery grade fabric paint that they are always talking about. It came in the mail and I was super excited, and yet oh so scared. What if it didn't work like everyone said it would? So I did a little more research. I felt fairly confident, so I went for it.
First I sprayed the top of one couch cushion, then the sides. Hmm. It didn't cover very well, and I had just used one whole can. I waited half an hour and got out a second can. *spray, spray, spray* One more can gone. Still, the orange was showing through. I started to panic. I was all in now, so I got out the second cushion. *spray, spray, spray* One more can gone and only half of the second cushion was covered and still barely covered by the gray it was supposed to become.
FULL PANIC MODE! I had only bought six cans of this stuff. Time to get back on Pinterest! *Read, Read, Read* I had a new idea!
I was going to try the "Rustoleum water-based Stain" method. I ran to the store and picked up a quart of stain in gray. I rushed home and started applying over the top of the cushions I had just sprayed. ACK! Still not quite covering. I painted and painted until it got dark, and still I had only covered over the top of the cushions I had been spraying earlier. I had not turned the cushions over to paint the other sides yet and I was almost through an entire quart of stain!!!
Time to take a break. I decided to stop. I let the stain dry overnight and then this morning I put them on the couch. I sat down. YUCK! They were so stiff and scratchy! I got out the sandpaper. *sand, sand, sand* Much softer, but still so stiff and smelly and the orange is back and showing through the gray! ACK! What have I done?!?
*Trip to the fabric store*
Time for plan C. How about reupholstering the couch? I bought some plain gray fabric.
And this is where I am now. I have a pile of fabric, an orange couch with two smelly gray/orange cushions, and I'm sitting here thinking "If I had only just left it alone".
UGH!
HAHAHA! I think this is so very funny! And this is why I love being creative. Not every project turns out. And yes it stinks to put forth that much effort, but this is how I learn. I'd never learn how to do anything if I was scared of failing.
Have you ever had a Pinstrosity?
p.s. On a really annoying note, my platelets are down, and it looks like I will have a birth similar to Phoebe's. Super great, right? I hate that I have to worry about this again.
i want to see picutres of your painted couch!!! ha! that's hilarious!!!
ReplyDeleteare you pregnant? did i know this?? i don't think i did! congrats! when's your due date?
You get points for trying it out. And points for reupholstering too. Points everywhere! Consider it a win.
ReplyDelete(I'm dying to see a picture of it! )
This reminds me of someone, hmmm... someone who has hardly a creative bone in her body... someone who's related to you, but not you... Me?! I love how you went for it and tried all those things and you didn't let it get you down. :)
ReplyDeleteHowever I am sorry about your platelets. We need to talk about this.
Heehee . . . enjoyed the update, since the last time I talked to you, you were in the middle of the paint job. Sorry it didn't turn out. I saw that same pin, and was pretty much wowed by the idea. I've had my share of Pinstroscities, however. Like the zucchini chips recipe. So did not work. :) Thanks for the laugh.
ReplyDeleteHah I want to see pictures! Sorry it didn't turn out like expected.I hate all those pins that make everything look so good and easy. Sorry about the platelets. That sucks. Looks like I need to visit again :-) Any excuse right?
ReplyDelete