Wednesday, November 3, 2010

What's the problem with the people at JoAnn's?

Warning: If you have ever worked at, currently work at, or plan on working at Joann Fabric stores read on at your own discretion. I do not intentionally offend anyone with the following post. Reader beware!

I have noticed that the employees at Joanns can be a tad bit annoying. You find your fabric and bring it up to the cutting counter. The lady (sometimes it's a man) says "how much do you want" and you politely tell her by holding up your arm just so to show her while you say "three yards". The Lady gives you a snide look and says "that's not three yards, that's two yards". Well hello stupid lady, do you really think I can hold my hand up NINE feet in the air?

Sometimes you don't know how much fabric you need, so you quickly try to determine how many yards would suffice. Your mind starts to race as you think about the project you are trying to complete, and meanwhile the lady starts huffing and tapping her fingers. Then she starts asking questions trying to help figure it out. Hello, be quiet while I am trying to think!

The best one, hands down, is when I am getting my fabric cut and as small talk goes she asks the usual questions. "what are you making". Hate that question. Here's why. I don't usually use a pattern. They cost too much money. I can figure it out. I'm smart. So we start into the conversation, me telling her about my project. Soon it comes out that I'm not using a pattern. Here is what is normally said "well there are patterns over there" and I say "I can see that. I don't need one though, thanks" and then she says "well they are on sale for $$". Gee thanks for your vote of confidence lady. Do I really look that incompetent? I mean yeah. Sometimes my projects go awry, sometimes they go horribly wrong.

Like the time I made a set of ottomans and they broke after two weeks of use. The legs broke off. The upholstering was fabulous though! Or there was the Easter dress I made myself when I was 16 in revolt of my mom breaking tradition that year. That dress was the most horrible thing ever to walk the planet.

But back to my point. The people that work at Joanns should just stop asking questions. Maybe we could talk about the weather, cooking, hairstyles.... I don't know! But it should not be about FABRIC! lol! Sounds retarded I know!

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!! Amen sister!!! I was just in there a few weeks ago and thought the exact same thing!!! And it is the same wherever... where we live (in IF), in Boise, etc....
    p.s. this comment has a disclaimer just as your blog post :) totally not to offend anyone, but I COMPLETELY agree!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should put up a picture of the easter dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I've noticed Joann feels compelled to pump the customers for information on what they're making. Not just the fabric people, either. I remember a few years ago I was working on some experimental project or other that I didn't want to divulge, because I knew people would ridicule me (i.e. "You can't make that from just a brick of clay and some paint!" Oh yeah? Watch me!).

    I usually just try to be really vague so that I don't have to actually admit to what I am trying to do. Also, it's good if you go on for a while so they don't have time to ask more questions, or change the subject and start asking THEM questions. As in: "Oh, it's just a project I'm working on for Christmas. . . So how about that weather today, huh! You could be snowed in by the end of the day -- how are you going to get home?"

    Radio Shack also does this. Which I am only thinking of because I had to go there this week to get something. I really didn't want to have to go there, because they always ask questions and want to know exactly what you're looking for and what you're trying to do. Well, as usual I was trying to jimmyrig something that I wasn't positive would work (it did work, for the record) but I didn't want to be told by the clerk there that, "You can't do THAT." I went to every other store I could think of before I finally gave in and went to Radio Shack. Silly, I know. But I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree. Last time I was in there I was getting fabric to make receiving blankets and the lady cutting it for me kept telling me that I was having her cut the fabric too small and that the baby would grow out of it way too soon. Um...this is my 3rd child...I'm pretty sure I know what size of receiving blanket I want. She would not let it go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a job requirement to be a rude old hag to work at Joann's. No joke. My bro-in-law worked there for awhile and would always complain about those ladies in the fabric dept.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't buy as much fabric as the rest of you, cause I'm not as fabulous with a sewing machine, BUT in the rare times I have had to purchase material, grouchiness is what I have encountered! I agree with all y'all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had the most random flashback when you mentioned that sometimes they are guys at the cutting table. Did you ever get your fabric cut by the guy at the JoAnns in MI? Just a funny thought.
    By the way, you are pretty much amazing and anything you make seems to turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. CHelsy, YES! Did you ever talk to the guy who sold sewing machines at that Joanns? I think they must have been in a relationship with each other! Funny stuff.

    ReplyDelete