Friday, October 15, 2010

Milestones

I woke up the other day and decided that it was going to be the day to get rid of the binky. Sami's binky.

We had been talking about it for a while. I was mulling it around in my head...trying to decide on a good tactic. Samantha has held onto her binky harder than Logan ever did. She would wake up in the middle of the night looking for it.

We went to the store a few days before and looked at the baby dolls. I asked Samantha if she wanted one, and of course she did. We talked about how she could trade her binkies for a baby if she wanted. Then we went home without buying anything and I let her think about it for a few days. She talked about it all the time. I could tell she really wanted to do it.

That morning we gathered up all the binkies and put them in a plastic baggie. She was really excited.



We went to the store and found the baby. She HAD to hold it and screamed if anyone else touched it.

We got up to the register and I quickly whispered my plan to the lady behind the register. After she rang up the baby, she leaned down to talk to Samantha. "Is this your baby doll?" My shy little Samantha proudly said "yes".

"Are you going to pay me with those binkies?"

Samantha was holding the baggie in her hands. She held the binkies up for the lady to take. The lady handed the bag with the doll in it to a very proud Samantha. I teared up. Pathetic right?

My little girl is growing up.

11 comments:

  1. congratulations! :)

    I did something similar with Robs... and she gave the doll back!

    Cute pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute!!!! seriously! What a fun idea and I"m so glad it worked! Keep us posted on the progress of it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute - I would have teared up too. You're a proud mom. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea! I just have one question . . . what did the cashier do with the binkies?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job, Alyson. Samantha sure loves her baby doll. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. So here is the progress report. She asked for her binky one time. I calmly reminded her that she had traded her binky for her baby. And then I asked her to go find her baby. That was it. I haven't heard anything else about it.

    Laura-Pretty sure the cashier threw the binkies away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet idea! I was the mean mom who just told them they had to put them in a box and say good-bye. :) Or I cut a hole in the end of the pacifier so the sucking just wasn't the same anymore . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH!! What a cute idea!! Good Job Alyson!! :)
    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love it!! awesome idea!!! time to have another baby :) HA!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so cute- just what we did with alexis & it worked like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that's awesome!! What a good girl!

    ReplyDelete